#TBT File Cabinets Can Be Cute Too

Thursday, July 30, 2015

I was digging through photos and posts of projects past and came across this gem we never got around to finishing/posting.. so here it is for your Throwback Thursday enjoyment!

We started quite a few side projects while waiting to close on our new place and this is one I can't wait to see finished. We found some super inexpensive filing cabinets at Staples and started by painting them white, instant improvement. Then I went to Michael's and picked out a very cool stencil set - Thanks Martha :) and a pretty acrylic shimmer paint color.

DIYer Beware: This was not as easy as I expected and took MUCH more time. The stencil wasn't large enough so after rolling the paint on, I had to wait for it to dry then set it up in the next position, tape it down, etc. I probably should have just measured the drawer faces and ordered or made a stencil to fit - but coulda, woulda, shoulda.

 Love a little shimmer!

 We're getting somewhere..

Ta da! Now just a little white paint touch up. 

Hope you enjoyed the blast from the past - We'll make sure to share the finished project and office photos soon!


The Laundry Room Folding Table

Monday, July 27, 2015

When we first bought our house and started gutting the kitchen, we decided we wanted to save as much of what we took out as possible. Most of the cabinets got a new home in the garage (link coming) but this small awkward desk area became a problem. What could we possibly do with it? At the time we were shopping around for our kitchen counter tops and I remember thinking, wouldn't it be nice if the yucky plastic desk could look like pretty stone, I immediately started researching. It turns out there is a spray you can buy that will create a stone affect and with that this project was born. 

This is after we went all hulk and ripped the counter top off the base to start painting. 

The side cabinets went to the paint work shop to get a fresh coat of white high gloss paint, with our AMAZING paint sprayer.

The counter top went out to the garage to get scuffed up a bit and prepped for painting.

We actually used two different spray paints and layered them to give the stone a pretty gray color. One was called Gray Stone and the other was Granite Stone.

We kept spraying in even strokes until you couldn't see the tan surface through the stone anymore. Then we let it dry for a few days. After it was totally dry and ready to epoxy we picked up a kit called Super Glaze, at Home Depot and got to work  - sorry we don't have any photos of this step but we followed the directions exactly as the product entails and we love the results.

 On to the next project!

The Laundry Room: Progress

Monday, March 30, 2015

One of the reasons we love our house is the basement. It's a really great space and when we moved in, putting in new lighting and painting was such a game changer and really brightened it up. We bit off more than we could chew doing the flooring ourselves for all three floors of our house so the laundry room portion of the basement has remained unfinished since we moved in. The potential of the space would torture me with every load of laundry and we couldn't be more excited, one year and seven months later - we have progress. 

I found this photo on my phone from, what feels like forever ago, featuring the gorgeous peel and stick floors that were originally in our laundry room. 

While I was working, being the wonderful man he is, Joe removed the trim, washer and dryer and painted the floors. The paint was Drylok Masonary waterproofing paint to help ensure we never feel any dampness. 

Then it was time to roll out the barrier. We used Roberts Airgaurd under lament  for laminated floors. 

One of the edges is actually an adhesive strip that you can peel off and stick down to the piece next door to hold the seams together. That's means, no taping! So.. Much.. Easier. 

Then it was time for us to get to work laying down and measuring pieces, trying to work out an assembly line system. For the rest of the house we used a hard strand bamboo, which isn't cheap, so for the basement/laundry room we went with a laminate floor. We both actually really love the look, from Dream Home it's St. James Golden Acacia Laminate

We made some pretty good progress until it got a little too late to be making noise.. stay tuned!